A Murderer Who Brutally Beat A Bury Man To Death In His Own Home Has Been Jailed

Earlier today, Edward Fitzgerald, 50, of Walmersley Road, Bury, was sentenced to life imprisonment after pleading guilty to the murder of 50-year-old David Raymond Dixon.

He will serve a minimum of 23 years before being considered for release.

Three other men were also jailed during the hearing at Manchester Crown Court, Crown Square.

The court heard how on Monday 11 February 2019, Fitzgerald attended Mr Dixon’s address on Myrtle Street North, along with Lee Hopkinson and Anthony Dennison, with the intention of robbing him.

Once inside the address, he began brutally attacking Mr Dixon – who was known to friends as Ray – and repeatedly hit him as he lay on the ground injured.

Whilst Fitzgerald was leading the assault, Hopkinson and Dennison carried out their search of the property, and retrieved a bike, a large flat screen TV and other items. The trio then left the scene, leaving Ray mortally wounded on the living room floor.

A Home Office Post Mortem confirmed that he died from a head injury inflicted by blunt force trauma. The examination found no obvious evidence of any defensive injuries.

After stashing the TV behind some bushes on Parsonage Close, the three men then met up with a man, who took them to a property on Heyside Way.

At the address, Dean Murray then helped them wash their clothes in an attempt to clean the blood off.

Today, the men have been sentenced to a total of 43 years in prison.

Senior Investigating Officer Duncan Thorpe, of GMP’s Major Incident Support Unit, said: “Ray Dixon’s needless death was a tragedy which understandably devastated his loved ones. He died alone after being attacked in the most brutal fashion in his own home, which is a place where somebody should feel safest.

“Whilst Fitzgerald may have inflicted the fatal blows that killed Ray, the supporting role played by his co-defendants Hopkinson, Dennison and Murray cannot be ignored and they absolutely deserved to be stood in the dock alongside him receiving a prison sentence.

“I hope today’s result will leave Ray’s family with a feeling of justice now that those responsible for his death have been jailed.”

The sentences for the other three men are as follows:

Lee Hopkinson,30, of no fixed address, was jailed for 13 years after pleading guilty to manslaughter.

Anthony Dennison, 45, of no fixed address, was jailed for five years after pleading guilty to robbery.

Dean Murray, 50, of Heyside Drive, Bury, was jailed for two years after pleading guilty to attempting to pervert the course of justice.

More from Local

Cover art for She Drives Me Crazy

On Air

Tatum McGreal playing Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy