Plans to build a block of flats at the site of a former Royal British Legion Club have been given the go ahead.
A total of 19 flats will be contained in the four-storey building in Water Street, Radcliffe.
Each of the apartments will have one to three bedrooms, according to the plans submitted by Mangrove Estates Ltd.
But the development faced some opposition from local businesses.
Gordon Waite, who owns the neighbouring Albert Works, voiced his concerns at a planning committee meeting in the town hall on Tuesday.
He told councillors that the road leading to the site is barely wide enough for two vehicles to pass.
A crucial turning point will be lost under the plans as a wall would be built alongside the car park, the business owner said.
Mr Waite also spoke of the impact the development would have on a neighbouring care home which would lose access for food lorries.
He said: “The proposed development will lead to an elimination in the existing rights of way which we have enjoyed for over 40 years.
“The existing road width of presently 15 foot 6 inches is simply not wide enough to allow safe passage of vehicles and pedestrians if this development were to go ahead.”
Despite his concerns, the planning committee gave the plans the green light.
Speaking after the meeting, Mr Waite said the development will cause “chaos” if it goes ahead.
He said: “The planning committee turned a deaf ear to my valid objections to the proposed development and voted unanimously to approve the application.
“In my opinion, they are guilty of putting the interests of a private developer above those of Rose Court Care Home, possibly risking its future financial viability not to mention the interests of their residents and families and also the business tenants of Albert Works.”
The 0.18-hectare site in question previously comprised two parts – one being the Royal British Legion Club and the other a sheltered care home. Both buildings have been demolished and the site is vacant.
The Radcliffe branch of the Royal British Legion was forced to leave the building in 2006 due to dwindling membership and finances. The empty building was later destroyed by a fire.
The building was demolished in 2015 for safety reasons and fears of it collapsing and the site has laid vacant ever since, attracting anti-social and criminal behaviour.
Initial plans for the apartments were approved in principle two years ago.
The new plans involve the creation of 26 parking spaces, external landscaping and new pedestrian and vehicular access.
A row of garages in the north-west corner of the site would be demolished to make way for the development.
The planning committee voted unanimously to approve the latest application.